Saturday, February 15, 2014

You Are Loved Layout for Leaky Shed Studio with Stained Glass Chipboard Tutorial

I hope you had a wonderful Valentine's Day with the special loved ones in your life yesterday. I'm back to share the details on the Leaky Shed Studio page that I shared sneak peaks from. Elizabeth looks so beautiful in this photo right before her wedding. She is dressed and ready for her big day, contemplating her future with the love of her life, Andrew. 

I've used a number of Leaky Shed Studio Chipboard pieces, but really wanted to showcase the Prairie Grass stained glass window piece ~ so perfect to go with this lovely photo of Elizabeth standing in front of a stained glass window at the church.

The Prairie Grass stained glass window chipboard piece from Leaky Shed Studio was absolutely perfect to pair with this photo. My regular followers know how much I enjoy playing with new techniques, so I conceived an idea to get an antique glass look with crackle accents and am so happy with the way it turned out. I've included a tutorial if you'd like to give this technique a try. 

"You Are Loved"

Tips and Techniques
This gorgeous chipboard is the Prairie Grass piece. Details on how I created my stained glass window can be found in my tutorial below. 

Here I've used the Small Spring Butterfly. To get these delightful layers, I soaked it in warm water until thoroughly wet, then carefully split each wing into three layers and left the body intact. I painted it ecru, dried, then brushed Stickles across the wings. Several rhinestones on the body finishes it off.

A mix of flowers dry brushed with gesso and layered die cut leaf flourishes which were inked and then dry brushed with gesso. This flourish die is actually a corner, but I cut off the leafy flourishes to use here. You can see a couple layers of punchinella I've tucked under and around my photo.

Another view of this sweet cluster. You can see above the cluster, I've used molding paste to stencil another window image.

Leaky Shed Studio has a wonderful collection of clocks. Here I've used the small Clock #2 and watch parts. They were simply painted with metallic paint, then randomly rubbed with Ebony Rub'n Buff. Finally, I dry brushed them with Gesso. A Prima heart gear was a perfect fit for the center of the clock!

I used my stencil three ways. First I used it in the center to spritz two shades of mist. First a darker pink, then with white to soften it up. Next I wanted to use up the extra mist that was left on the stencil, so I flipped it over and used it to "stamp" the design on the left next to where I planned to place the stained glass piece. Finally, I used it to apply spots of molding paste across the bottom of the layout around where I planned to place my embellishments. 

This lovely flower cluster flows right on out over the edge of the window. The paper elements tucked in around the photo were distressed with my Donna Salazar Distrezz-it-All by Zutter. 

There was a white spot in the photo where the sun was streaming through the window. It looked bare on this black and white photo, so a cross from the cross set was just perfect to fill the space. You can see more of the goodies I tucked around the photo like this Abaca Ribbon and painted chicken wire. I also scattered heart shaped and round rhinestones around the page. 

Now, here's my tutorial for the Stained Glass Window. 

Stained Glass Chipboard Window Tutorial

Supplies List
Leaky Shed Studio ~ Prairie Grass
Acetate sheet or large scrap of acetate packaging
Ranger Crackle Accents
Stampendous ~ Fran-tage Embossing Enamel - Aged Silver
Ranger Alcohol Ink and felt applicator
Ranger Perfect Medium or other clear Embossing pad
Scissors to cut Acetate

Step 1. Cut a piece of crafting acetate or clear packaging to the width of the window piece. Place the acetate over the back of the chipboard piece and mark a cutting line for the top of the window. I used a Sharpie. Trim the top on the marked lines. 

Step 2. Heat emboss the window chipboard piece with embossing powder to coordinate with your project. I used Fran-tage Aged Silver Embossing Enamel.

Step 3. Apply a thin bead of Crackle Accents to the back of the chipboard. 

Step 4. Adhere the chipboard to the acetate by placing the back of the chipboard covered in Crackle Accents onto the front of the trimmed acetate. Don't worry if some of the Crackle Accents oozes out onto the acetate since in the next step you will be covering the window in it. 

Step 5. Apply a layer of Crackle Accents into each "window." ***Hint*** You do NOT want to completely fill the windows to the brim. Just a thin coat across the acetate, making sure to completely cover the entire surface. I removed the occasional larger bubble with a needle, however I did not worry about the tiny ones. I figured the bubbles would give the look of vintage glass. 
Step 6. Set aside to dry and crack. I allowed mine to sit overnight. 

Step 7. Apply alcohol in in the color of choice to the back of the acetate. I used a light pink. Because I used a monochromatic color scheme on my page, I kept my window the same color throughout; however, you could brush the alcohol ink on in different colors, using the chipboard frame as a guide. 

It just takes a few moments for the alcohol ink to dry and your Stained Glass Window is ready to use. 

Hint - to adhere to my page, I cut very thin strips of Crafty Power Tape and placed them on the back, lining it up with the chipboard so it isn't visible on the front side of the piece.

Here's how it looks on my page:

Leaky Shed Studio Products
Prairie Grass
Clock # 2 Small
Watch Parts
Spring Butterfly Small
Cross Set

Other Products
7 Dots Studio ~ Messy Head - Love Letter
Clear Acetate Sheet
Prima ~ Junkyard Findings - Heart Gears
Prima SIIC ~ - Glitter Hearts
Tim Holtz ~  Idea-ology - Word Band
Darice ~ Self Stick Gems, 5mm
Momenta ~ Metal Stickers - flourish
Bead Landing ~ Found Objects - Keys
Seam Binding - White (Really Reasonable Ribbon)
Stash ~ chicken wire, 2 types of punchinella, abaca ribbon, mesh
Prima ~ Hello Pastel Flowers
Petaloo ~ Penny Lane - Ruffled Roses, pink
Petaloo ~ Beaded Peonies - Small, Cream
Kaisercraft Paper Blooms ~ - Dusty Pink
Ranger ~ Perfect Medium
Ranger ~ Crackle Accents
Ranger ~  Alcohol Ink - Pink Sherbet
Ranger ~  Blending Solution
Ranger ~ Stickles - Star Dust, Fruit Punch
Ranger ~ Distress Ink - Pumice Stone
Stampendous ~ Fran-tage - Aged Silver Embossing Enamel
Liquitex ~ Gesso
Rub'n Buff ~ Ebony
Tattered Angels Glimmer Mist ~ Cranberry Zing
Mister Hueys Color Mists - Opaque White
Folk Art Acrylic Paint
DecoArt Dazzling Metallics - Champagne Gold
Prima ~ Windows Stencil, Flourish Stencil 6 "x 6"
Spellbinders Dies ~ Fantastic Flourish Two
Helmar ~ 450 Quick Dry Adhesive
Helmar ~ Liquid Scrap Dots
Helmar ~ Zap Dots - White Square 1/2 "
Tombo ~ Mono Multi Glue
Scor-Tape 6" x 6"
Zutter ~ Donna Salazar Designs - Distrezz-it-All
Darice Heat Tool

Thanks for stopping by! I treasure your comments.

~ Blessings ~

15 comments:

  1. I have pinned multiple pics from this page and plan to use that stained glass tute-this page is one of your best,and that is saying something!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous layout and your stained glass window is stunning. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  3. such a pretty page and love love your stained glass effect!!!! that is sooooo cool

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely cathedral like embellishments.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh Tracey this is amazing, the results are stunning!! Oh I have to find some of the crackle accents and try that technique. Thank you for sharing, it really made such a GORGEOUS window, I love love it :) You always have the most beautiful creations!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful piece! Thank you for sharing and thank you for the tut on your awesome window. Kust love it :)

    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow how stunning that window is.. you are so clever to create it so beautifully, and nothing is more elegant then a bride I think, the photo is gorgeous and love your details on the background too.. and the cogs look amazing even on such a feminine layout.. love this..

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow that window is amazing........love this :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a beautifully romantic page Tracey and your stain glass window is stunning!!! Thank you for sharing the process, it is absolutely amazing!! Blessings to you ox

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow that a very cool amazing tutorial Beautiful work, as always! Love those pretty pps and embellies!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks amazing Tracey! Thanks for sharing the stained glass tutorial. LOVE it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tracey, this layout is a work of art. I love the stained glass and all the texture. This is something I would love to try and do.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wowzers, what a great project, Tracey! Love all the chippy alterations but that window certainly takes the cake! I am certainly going to have to try this technique on something soon! Hugs! Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a pretty page Tracey! The crackled window came out perfect and was such a lovely accent for that beautiful photo! Love the new DS dies too!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow this is a stunning LO, absolutely beautiful Tracey!
    Hugs
    Tracey
    xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to stop by and leave a message! I treasure your comments.